Making Money From Your Clutter
Clutter can be a problematic issue in any home. When you start building up a collection of random things, it can often get out of control and eventually spill out into your rooms. Boxes might start piling up outside of cupboards and cabinets, and it’ll feel impossible to clean up your home to make more space.
One of the best ways to get rid of clutter is to make some money from it. There are several different ways that you can do this, so here are a few suggestions to help you out.
Making Money From Your Clutter
Sorting your clutter into valuable piles
One of the first things to do is sort your clutter into piles of valuable items. This can be a little tricky, depending on how much clutter you have and how random it is. In most cases, you’ll want to pick out anything that you know is worth money. A great example of this is any electronics or valuable items that are still functional. In other words, any item that can still serve its original function or purpose can likely be sold.
It’s a good idea to consider what could be more valuable now that it’s a little older. For instance, an old chair or table could be worth a lot more if it’s an antique. Defining an antique is a little tricky. It’s not immediately obvious if something is worth a lot of money, and you’ll typically need to get it appraised before you decide to list it on a website or a local marketplace. Since antiques can have a vast price range, it’s usually best to sell them on dedicated websites. But for now, just valuing it or getting a rough idea of how much it’s worth is a crucial step to take.
Deciding if you want to sell your clutter
One of the most straightforward ways to make money from your clutter is to sell it. Selling your clutter can involve a few extra steps because you’re generally expected to list it on some kind of marketplace or auction website. You also need to value it, and you should expect people to occasionally try and haggle with you, especially if it’s on a marketplace website. This is just a regular part of selling goods on the internet, but there are other solutions if you don’t want to deal with this hassle.
For example, a smart solution to sell your jewelry would be to use a dedicated online service instead of a marketplace. You can get an immediate quote from these companies in most cases, so you know exactly how much you’re being offered. You won’t get haggled on a price, and they might even help pay for some of the shipping costs. This is an extremely convenient way to get rid of items such as jewelry which can be challenging to value. This is still technically selling your clutter, but it’s not done through a marketplace which can be a lot easier for some people.
If you don’t want to sell your items, then you can also donate them. You won’t get much money from donating your goods (in most cases, you won’t get any money), but you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that it’s going to a worthy cause. There’s also the advantage that donating your goods generally means that you can get rid of most types of clutter instead of just selling the valuable items. For example, you can often donate large bags of clothes that you don’t need for a much smaller price, but it’s easier than trying to value each item and sell them individually.
Having a garage sale can also be an option.
A great way to earn money from your clutter is to host a garage sale. You can put out any items that you don’t want, and you can let people look through all of your goods to see what you have on offer. This is often a much easier way to get rid of your clutter since you’re selling locally to people you know. There are also public garage sales where people can take a car loaded with different items, then sell them from their trunk.
This is usually a great option if you’re not looking to make too much money from your goods but want them to go to people that can make better use of them. It’s a fantastic way to connect with your local community, and it can be an excellent place to pick up valuable items as well. Sales like this can be a lot of fun if you’re willing to spend a whole day, and you can meet some really friendly locals as well.
Tips for selling your goods to other people
The most common way to make money from your clutter is to sell it to other people on marketplaces or online auction websites. Still, there are a couple of ways to improve the chances of making a sale and plenty of ways to increase the value of your items. So here are a few tips to help you out.
- Value your items similarly to other people. Don’t forget to check what other people are selling items for. If you’re selling on a website like eBay, you can usually check out the prices that other people have sold the item for. This will ensure that your item is priced reasonably and will improve your chances of making a sale.
- Take plenty of photographs of the items. The best way to improve your chances of a sale is to take plenty of flattering photographs of the item. This will show its condition and will also allow you to show that it’s working. If you don’t have photographs, then people might think that you’re selling a fake item or trying to scam them.
- Describe the item as best as you can. If you’re selling something like an electronics device, you don’t need to list everything, such as the specs. However, you should at least describe the condition as best as you can and be truthful about any quirks or problems. This is the best way to avoid disputes once the item has sold. If you have clearly described the item and its condition, the seller can’t make a case against you if it isn’t as described, especially if you have photographs to prove it.
- Avoid meeting in person if you don’t feel safe about it. It’s uncommon to meet people on the internet who will scam you or try to steal your item, but it’s still a precaution that you should take if it’s an item that can quickly be sent in the mail. If it’s an expensive item such as high-end fashion items or expensive electronics, then you should be wary of anyone that wants to meet with you in person to sell the item.
- Package the items as best as you can. If you’re going to mail an item, you should try to package it as best as possible. Even if you’re selling in person, you should try to find the original box for the item, if applicable, and use plenty of packing materials to ensure it’s safe.
Making Money From Your Clutter
These tips should help you make a quick sale on marketplaces and other websites to get rid of your clutter and also get the most value from your sales.